What is the best type of rice? You might be surprised to know that there are so many different types of rice, and each one has its own unique texture, flavor, color, and cooking time.
But what about cilantro lime rice? How do you make it in a Rice Cooker? And how can you make your cilantro lime rice even tastier?? Keep reading to find out!
How to Make a Cilantro Lime Rice in a Rice Cooker
It’s always best to cook rice in a rice cooker since the rice cooker has a keep-warm function and rice cooks more evenly. Here we will show you how to make cilantro lime rice in a rice cooker:
- When cooking rice the first step is always cleaning the rice paddy. This rice cooker has a detachable inner pan and so it is easy to clean. To clean the rice paddy you have to rinse the rice for a few minutes and rub them against each other. This might seem like a waste of water and nutrients but believe me that the benefits outweigh the negatives.
- First we need cilantro, garlic cloves, rice vinegar (optional), limes or lemons juice (as some people prefer that instead of lime/lemon zest), olive oil, salt, and pepper for seasoning your rice after cooking. You can get all of them online or from your local store.
- Put the rice and water into your rice cooker. The ratio of rice and water should be 1.5 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. Add more water if you want it to be more fluffy.
- Put the salt and oil into your rice. If you use olive oil, there is no need to add extra salt since it has a high sodium content already. And if you are using another type of cooking liquid like chicken stock or vegetable broth then add a pinch of salt.
- Cook rice in a rice cooker for about 15 minutes until all water is drained out completely even if your rice looks still soft at this moment, don’t worry that’s how it’s supposed to be because we will continue cooking rice by keeping them inside the rice cooker.
- Let rice sit for about 15 minutes.
- Open the lid of the rice cooker and stir up the rice gently using a fork. Make sure not to break rice grains during stirring, you can use your hand if it’s easier for you but make sure that your hands are clean first before handling food or cooking equipment.
- Put cilantro lime rice in a rice bowl and enjoy eating.
FAQs about cilantro rice in a rice cooker
Here are some of the top querries for cooking lime rice in a rice cooker. They are-
1. Can I add rice right after boiling water?
Yes, you can do that but it is not recommended. If the rice has been sitting in hot boiled water for too long then it will lose its shape and turn into mushy rice when cooked inside a rice cooker. Always rinse your rice before cooking them with other ingredients to avoid getting mushy rice.
2. How long does rice need to sit?
Rice should always be left for 15 minutes after it has been cooked inside a rice cooker so that all water is drained out completely before stirring them gently using a fork. It’s just like cooking pasta, you have to let your pasta or rice rest in the colander until they are ready to be served.
3. Can rice sit longer than 15 minutes?
Yes, rice can do that but it will not taste as good the next day since rice starts to lose its moisture and nutrients when kept for a long time inside a rice cooker or in an airtight container. You should also avoid squeezing limes over rice before serving because this will release rice moisture and rice will turn mushy.
4. How long does rice stay fresh?
Rice can last about 24 hours in an airtight container if you keep them inside the fridge but it’s best to eat rice as soon as possible for a better taste.
5. Why is my rice mushy and sticky?
The rice is most likely not being rinsed correctly before cooking, which gives it a sticky consistency. To rinse rice before cooking, do not use water that is too hot or very cold. The rice should take 1 – 2 full minutes to wash thoroughly. Furthermore, you must use rice that has been stored at room temperature for at least 12 hours for best results.
Other tips to make Cilantro Rice tastier in a Rice Cooker
Can’t get enough of rice? Here are some tricks to make your cilantro rice tastier:
- Use fresh ingredients such as lime/lemon juice, garlic cloves, and cilantro. You can also add more spices like salt and pepper if you want it spicier.
- More water is better since the rice will be fluffier and rice will not stick to the rice cooker.
- You can use rice vinegar instead of lime/lemon juice for a tangy taste, it’s completely up to your preference.
- If you don’t have time or if rice is too much hassle for you then there are some other options available like Ready Rice packs that come pre-cooked and seasoned perfectly for rice lovers who are always on the go.
- If you have leftover rice then just spread them out in a single layer inside the baking sheet and pop it into your oven to make rice crispy again, they will be mostly dry when done so keep some sauce or salsa ready for dipping while eating.
You can find all these options available in the rice section of your supermarket or you can find them online from rice cooker manufacturers.
I hope this article has been helpful or at least informative enough to make your life easier while making cilantro lime rice every time you want it! And it is clear now that making cilantro lime rice in a rice cooker is very easy. However, like any other dish you have to have attention to the cooking process, recipes, the freshness of ingredients, and other important things.